22 October 2014

Dundrum Castle

castle1.jpgLocated on a wooded hill north-west of Dundrum village, Dundrum Castle was built as part of John de Courcy's coastal defences after he invaded Ulster.

It is believed to have been built in, or around 1177, and controls access to Lecale as well as dominating Dundrum Bay. Its purpose was to guard the land routes from Drogheda via Greencastle to Downpatrick.

For safety reasons children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

Photography by Chris Halpin
Silverink Web Design